Pest description and crop damage May feed on foliage, flowers and developing green fruit, reducing fruit yield and quality. This is often not observed in vineyards and may cause very low levels of damage in sporadic areas of the vineyard.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)
- carbaryl-To avoid harming bees, do not apply products containing carbaryl to plants in bloom.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- plant essential oils (cinnamon, garlic, peppermint)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- carbaryl (various brands) at 0.5 to 1.5 lb ai/A. Apply a rate of 0.5 to 0.75 lb ai/A for nymphs or on smaller canopies and 1.0 to 1.5 lb ai/A for mature grasshoppers or dense foliage. PHI 7 days. REI 6 days. Do not apply to fruit as it may cause residue spotting. Toxic to bees-do not apply when bees are foraging. Group 1A insecticide.