Pest description and crop damage Small, yellow-green aphids with woolly exudates attack new terminals.
Hosts and Symptoms of Major Aphid and Adelgid Pests of Christmas Trees
- afidopyropen (Ventigra) (Subgroup 9D)-Not permitted in Oregon
- bifenthrin (OnyxPro, Sniper and others) (Group 3)-Restricted use pesticide
- carbaryl (Sevin and others) (Group 1)
- cyantraniliprole (Mainspring GNL) (Group 28)
- cyclaniliprole (Group 28) + flonicamid (Group 29)-Pradia
- dinotefuran (Safari 20 SG) (Group 4)
- esfenvalerate (Asana XL and others) (Group 3)-Restricted use.
- flupyradifurone (Sivanto Prime) (Group 4)
- imidacloprid (Montana, Nuprid 4F and others) (Group 4)
- insecticidal soaps and oils (Ecotec, M-pede, Ultra-Pure Oil, 440 Superior Oil, and others)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic production. Note: Some oils may cause discoloration.
- pymetrozine (Endeavor and others) (Group 9)
- spirotetramat (Ultor, Movento) (Group 23)
- sulfoxaflor (Transform WG) (Group 4c)
- thiamethoxam (Flagship 25 WG) (Group 4)
- aphid predators (Aphidoletes aphidimyza, Aphidius spp., Hippodamia spp., Chrysopa spp.)-Consider attracting predators with forage plantings as keeping some species of predators on-site has challenged growers.
- Beauveria bassiana (BotaniGard ES)
Biological control of Nursery Pests