Includes mint aphid (Ovatus crataegarius)
Pest description and crop damage Wingless forms are apple green to yellow-green sometimes with mottled, darker markings. Winged forms have a dark brown head and thorax. Large populations stunt and distort stems and leaves, make plants more susceptible toSee water stress, and secrete honeydew, which can help to sunburn leaves or cover them with black, sooty mold.
- acephate (Acephate 90WDG) at 1 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed 2 lb ai/a per season. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not feed mint hay to animals.
- azadirachtin (Neemix 4.5 IGR) at 0.015 to 0.021 lb ai/acre. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana (Mycotrol ESO) at 0.5 to 1 quart/100 gal when pests first appear. REI 4 hr. Most effective when used at first detection. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- chlorantraniliprole/thiamethoxam (Voliam Flexi) at 0.05 to 0.1 lb ai/a. Do not use an adjuvant. Retreatment interval is 14 days. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 15 oz/a Voliam Flexi or 0.188 lb ai/a (thiamethoxam) or 0.2 lb ai/a (chlorantraniliprole) per season. Apply in at least 10 gal water/a.
- flonicamid (Beleaf 50SG) at 0.062 to 0.089 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 14 day. Best control is achieved when applied before large populations develop. Limit 3 treatments per season. Do not exceed 0.267 lb ai/a per season.
- malathion (Gowan Malathion 8) at 0.94 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Limit 3 applications per year. Retreatment interval 7 days.
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- thiamethoxam (Actara) at 0.023 to 0.047 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Do not apply more than 0.188 lb ai/a per season. Retreatment interval 14 days.
Note: Actara, Malathion and Orthene are toxic to bees. Do not apply if mint or weeds in field are in bloom.