Black cutworm (Agotis ipsilon)
Variegated cutworm (Peridroma saucia)
Various species of armyworm
Pest description, crop damage and life history
Common Pests of Vegetable Crops
Weed control is important. Lambsquarters and wild mustard attract egg-laying females and provide a source of food for larvae. Fall tillage can help destroy overwintering pupae.
Home gardeners: Control weeds, grasses, and debris in the vegetable garden that provide cover; hand-pick cutworm larvae, using a flashlight to find them, if practical. Scratch the soil at the base of plants to find larvae in the daytime.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
Apply any one of these materials to the soil surface at first sign of cutworm activity. Consult label. Minimum preharvest interval (PHI) varies with crop. Where cutworms are on the soil surface, a carbaryl drench (when bees are not present) may help.
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki (Btk)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (often as a mix with zeta-cypermethrin).
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to foliage, it acts as a repellent to some insect pests. Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use. Not registered for use in OR.
- pyrethins (often combined with other ingredients)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spinosad-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Javelin WG)-See product labels for rates. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Slow acting. May need multiple applications. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Most effective on small larvae. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- beta-cyfluthrin (Baythroid XL) at 0.013 to 0.022 lb ai/A. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.11 lb ai/A or five treatments per season.
- bifenthrin (Brigade 2EC) at 0.08 to 0.1 lb ai/A. PHI 21 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 0.5 lb ai/A per season.
- carbaryl (Sevin 5 bait) at 2 lb bait/A. PHI 7 day. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 5 lb ai/A per crop. Apply bait for both cutworm and armyworm at the first sign of activity.
- carbaryl (Sevin XLR Plus) at 1 to 2 lb ai/A for foliar feeding larvae. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 5 lb ai/A per crop.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen) at 0.045 to 0.065 lb ai/A. PHI 1 day. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 3 days. Do not exceed 4 applications per crop or 0.2 lb ai/A per crop.
- clothianidin/imidacloprid (Sepresto 75) at 0.002 to 0.0042 oz formulated product/1,000 seeds. Do not exceed 6 oz ai/A clothianidin or 8 oz ai/A imidacloprid per acre per season. Not registered for use in OR.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo) at 0.3 to 0.9 lb ai/A per 100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- deltamethrin/essential oils (Shooter) at 0.01 lb ai/A deltamethrin. PHI 3 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.14 lb ai/A deltamethrin per season.
- diazinon (Diazinon 50W) at 2 to 4 lb ai/A as broadcast. Incorporate into top 3 to 4 inches into soil before planting. REI 3 days.
- esfenvalerate (Asana XL) at 0.03 to 0.05 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.5 lb ai/A per year. See label for restrictions on ground versus aerial applications. For cutworm only. Do not apply within 25 ft of an aquatic habitat, 150 ft if applied by air.
- methomyl (Lannate SP) Treat cutworms at 0.23 to 0.45 lb ai/A and armyworms at 0.45 to 0.9 lb ai/A. PHI 1 day. REI 48 hr. Not more than 10 applications or 6.3 lb ai/A per year.
- methoxyfenozide (Intrepid 2F) at 0.09 to 0.25 lb ai/A. REI 4 hr. PHI 1 day. Retreatment interval 14 days. Do not exceed 1 lb ai/A per season. Do not apply within 25 ft of an aquatic habitat, 150 ft if applied by air.
- spinetoram (Radiant SC) at 0.0469 to 0.0625 lb ai/A. PHI 3 days. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 4 days. Do not exceed four applications or 0.219 lb ai/A per season. Follow resistance management procedures on the label.
- spinosad (Success) at 0.047 to 0.094 lb ai/A. PHI 3 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.33 lb ai/A or four applications per season. Retreatment interval 5 days. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 0.016 to 0.05 lb ai/A. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.3 lb ai/A per year. Do not use tops for feed or fodder. Armyworms only.