Includes six-spotted leafhopper (Macrosteles fascifrons) and beet leafhopper (Circulifer tenellus)
Pest description, crop damage and life history
Common Pests of Vegetable Crops
Pest monitoring Leafhoppers are collected easily with sweep nets. Yellow sticky traps also are useful in monitoring.
Mulches of aluminum foil and straw help reduce disease incidence. Row covers also can be used on higher value crops. Destruction of weed species known to harbor aster yellows is also important.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (combined with pyrethrins)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (usually combined with zeta-cypermethrin)
- plant essential oils (rosemary, etc.)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (often combined with other ingredients)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- acephate (numerous products) at 0.5 to 1 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days, 1 day for lima beans harvested in succulent form. REI 24 hr. Do not feed treated vines. Do not exceed 2 lb ai/a per year.
- acetamiprid (Assail 30SG) at 0.044 to 0.1 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Limit 3 applications per season. Do not exceed 0.3 lb ai/a per season.
- bifenthrin (Capture, Sniper) at 0.025 to 0.1 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.2 lb ai/a per year. Do not apply within 25 ft of an aquatic habitat, 150 ft if applied by air.
- cyfluthrin (Tombstone) at 0.01 to 0.015 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 24 hr. Retreatment interval 5 days. Do not exceed 0.06 lb ai/a per season. Do not graze livestock or harvest for vines for forage or hay.
- dimethoate (numerous products) at 0.25 to 0.5 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days when harvested mechanically. REI 48 hr. Do not feed treated vines.
- esfenvalerate (Asana XL) at 0.015 to 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 21 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.2 lb ai/a per season. Dry beans only.
- flupyradifurone (Sivanto 200SL) at 7 to 10.5 fl oz/a. PHI 21 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.365 lb ai/a per year. Minimum of 10 days between successive applications.
- imidacloprid (Admire Pro) at 0.25 to 0.375 lb ai/a. Soil application only. PHI 21 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.375 lb ai/a per season. Do not apply within 25 ft of aquatic habitat.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II) at 0.02 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days for green beans, 21 days for dry beans. REI 24 hr.