Includes Thrips spp. and Frankliniella spp.
Pest description, crop damage and life history
Common Pests of Vegetable Crops
Pest monitoring Treatment is usually not necessary on seedlings, because most plants recover from thrips injury. Thrips are also beneficial at this time because of their role as mite predators.
Minute pirate bugs play a major role in controlling thrips populations.
Thrips populations tend to build up on weeds. Cultivating nearby weedy areas before the crop emerges reduces the potential of a thrips problem when the weeds begin to dry out. Cultivating weedy areas after crop emergence increases thrips problems.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- horticultural oil-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- plant essential oils (garlic, peppermint, rosemary, etc.)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (often combined with other ingredients)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spinosad-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- acephate (numerous products) at 0.5 to 1 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days. REI 24 hr. Do not feed treated vines. Do not exceed 2 lb ai/a per year.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II) at 0.02 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 21 days. REI 24 hr. Do not graze or feed to livestock. Do not exceed 0.12 lb ai/a per year. Do not apply within 25 ft of an aquatic habitat, 150 ft if applied by air.
- malathion (numerous products) at 1 to 1.75 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr.
- methomyl (Lannate SP) at 0.45 to 0.9 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days for harvest, feeding vines, and hay. REI 48 hr. Do not exceed 4.5 lb ai/a per year.
- phorate (Thimet 20-G)-Do not exceed 1.5 lb ai/a. PHI 60 days. REI 48 hr, or 72 hr if annual rainfall is less than 25 inches. At planting time only. Do not graze or feed to livestock. Toxic to fish and wildlife.
- spinetoram (Radiant SC) at 0.039 to 0.0625 lb ai/a. PHI 28 days. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 4 days. Do not exceed six applications or 0.094 lb ai/a per season. Follow resistance management procedures on the label.
- spinosad (Success) at 0.07 to 0.09 lb ai/a. PHI 28 days. REI 4 hr. Treat eggs at hatch and small larvae. Do not exceed 0.19 lb ai/a per year. Do not feed forage or hay to livestock. Spinosad takes several days to achieve full effect. Monitor fields and pest populations carefully. Multiple applications may be necessary. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spirotetremat (Movento HL) at 2.5 fl oz/a. PHI 7 days. Retreatment interval 7 days. REI 24 hr