Beet armyworm (Spodoptera exigua)
Bertha armyworm (Mamestra configurata)
Yellowstriped armyworm (Spodoptera praefica)
Black cutworm (Agotis ipsilon)
Variegated cutworm (Peridroma saucia)
Pest description and crop damage
Common Pests of Vegetable Crops
Weed control is important. Lambsquarters and wild mustard attract egg-laying females and provide a source of food for larvae. Fall tillage can help destroy overwintering pupae.
Home gardeners: Control weeds, grasses, and debris in the vegetable garden that provide cover; hand-pick cutworm larvae, using a flashlight to find them, if practical. Scratch the soil at the base of plants to find larvae in the daytime.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- plant-derived essential oils (peppermint, rosemary oil, etc.)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (often combined with other ingredients)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spinosad-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
Apply any one of these materials to the soil surface at first sign of cutworm activity. Consult label. Minimum preharvest interval (PHI) varies with crop. Difficult to control. Where cutworms are on the soil surface, a carbaryl drench (when bees are not present) may help.
- azadirachtin (Neemix 4.5) at 0.14 to 0.35 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use. Product is only registered for use in WA.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Javelin WG) at 0.12 to 1.5 lb formulated product/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Spray and/or water mix should not exceed pH 8. Most effective on small larvae.
- Burkholderia spp. (Venerate XC) at 1 to 4 quarts/a product. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen) at 0.045 to 0.098 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 3 days. Do not exceed 4 applications per crop or 0.2 lb ai/a per crop. Armyworms only.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo) at 0.6 to 0.9 lb ai/a per 100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap (M-Pede) at 1 to 2% solution. Potassium salts of fatty acids. See label for gal/a. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr.
- methomyl (Lannate SP) at 0.45 to 0.9 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 48 hr. Do not exceed 4.5 lb ai/a per year. Do not exceed 8 applications per year.
- permethrin (Pounce 25WP) at 0.05 to 0.1 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.4 lb ai/a per year. Retreatment interval 7 days.