For pest description, crop damage, biology, life history, sampling and cultural management
Field research on chemical control of spotted-wing drosophila (SWD) continues under Washington and Oregon growing conditions. Currently, the best spray programs start as the fruit begins to show color and continue every 7 to 10 days through harvest. It is recommended that applicators note the preharvest interval (PHI) for the chemical product selected. This program can be adjusted to start at first fly catch in a number of commercially-available traps designed specifically for SWD.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- acetamiprid-In field tests, this product has provided inconsistent control of SWD.
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-This product has been shown to provide about 25% control of SWD. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to leaves, stems, and fruit, it acts as a repellant to some insect pests. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins-These products provide about 80% control of SWD but have no residual activity. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spinosad-This product generally provides 100% control and 5-7 days residual activity. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- diazinon (Diazinon 50W) at 3 to 4 lb/a. REI 4 days. PHI 21 days. Do not exceed one in-season foliar application per growing season.
- diazinon (Diazinon AG500) at 4 pints/a + horticultural mineral oil (rates vary; check product label). REI 4 days. PHI 21 days. Do not exceed one in-season foliar application of diazinon per growing season. Flowable formulations are preferred when used in combination with oil.
- imidacloprid (Provado 1.6 F) at 4 to 8 fl oz/a. REI 12 hr. PHI 7 days.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II) at 1.28 to 2.56 fl oz/a. REI 24 hr. PHI 14 days. May disrupt beneficial mite populations. Extremely toxic to fish; avoid spray drift and surface runoff.
- phosmet (Imidan 70W) at 2.13 to 4.25 lb/a. REI 7 days. PHI 7days.
- spinetoram (Delegate WG) at 4.5 to 7 oz/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 1 day.
- Entrust SC at 1.25 to 2.5 oz/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 7 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Success 2F at 4 to 8 fl oz/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 7 days. May act slowly.