Note: The term ultra low volume (ULV) applies when total spray volume to be applied is 0.5 gal/acre or less and material is applied undiluted. The terms low-volume or concentrate spray apply when total spray volume to be applied will cover the area uniformly but not to the point of runoff. Apply sprays to the point of runoff, usually at a rate of about 0.5 to 1 gal per 1,000 sq ft. The amount of spray needed varies with the surfaces. Any of the materials recommended for use in and about dairy barns may be used. In addition, any of the materials listed below may be used outside barns other than dairy. To eliminate possible trace pesticide residues, avoid using these materials anywhere on dairy premises.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Standguard) at 0.16 to 0.33 fl oz/gallon of water. 1 gallon of dilution to treat 500 to 1,000 sq ft. Apply as a general surface and/or crack and crevice spray. Do not apply in areas where animals are present. See label for restrictions.
- imidacloprid/Z-9-tricosene (MaxForce) fly spot bait-Use at 5.7 to 6.3 oz per 1,000 sq ft in bait stations. Reapply every 7 days as needed. Do not place in areas accessible to animals.
- imidacloprid (0.5%)/tricosene (Maxforce Granular Fly Bait)-For use only outside in areas such as feedlots, broiler houses, livestock housing structures, and horse stables.
- permethrin spray (Atroban 11% EC) at 1 quart/20 gal water, or 25% 6 tbls/2 gal water. Apply 1 gal per 750 sq ft of surface. Do not apply these diluted solutions to animals. Do not treat manure or litter. Re-treat as needed but not more than once every 2 weeks.
- permethrin space spray (Atroban 11% EC ) at 1 quart/20 gal diesel or mineral oil. Use 4 oz per 1,000 sq ft of air space.