Pest description and crop damage A small, grayish-brown weevil 0.2 inch long, marked with dark and light spots. Larvae feed within the seed and destroy its viability.
Sampling and thresholds Usually, one weevil per 25 sweeps of an insect net will result in weevil infested peas at harvest.
Apply insecticides to kill adults before they lay eggs. Once eggs are on pods, it is too late to prevent infested seeds. Therefore, apply insecticide when first pods appear and before eggs are laid.
- alpha-cypermethrin (Fastac EC) at 0.02 to 0.025 lb ai/a. PHI 21 days. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 5 days.
- carbaryl at 1.5 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days for grazing or harvest for forage, 21 days for harvest. Do not exceed 6 lb ai/a per season. Retreatment interval 7 days. REI 12 hr.
- cyfluthrin (Tombstone) at 0.13 to 0.5 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 14 days. Do not exceed 0.1 lb ai/a per year.
- malathion (Fyfanon 8) at 1 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days. Do not graze or feed forage to livestock. REI 12 hr. Limit 2 treatments.
- phosmet (Imidan 70W) at 0.7 to 1.0 lb ai/a. PHI 7 to 10 days. REI 5 days. Do not exceed 2.8 lb ai/a per season. Do not feed forage to livestock within 7 days or cut pea forage for hay within 10 days.