Pest description and crop damage Tarnished plant bug (TPB) adults are approximately 5 mm (1/5 inches) in length, mottled, yellowish-to-reddish-brown in color and have a small triangle shape on their back. Feeding on flowers can cause flower abortion. Feeding during pod stages results in scarring, malformation and dimpling or pitting of the pods. Sap may ooze from the feeding sites on the pods, which increases the risk of pod disease development. TPB can also drill directly into the seed, causing pick, reducing seed quality. Yield losses of up to 20% have been observed.
Management-chemical control (Foliar Treatment)
- azadirachtin (AzaGuard) Spray 10 to 16 oz when pests first appear. Spray nymphs early. Repeat application every 7 to 10 days. Use in combination with 0.25 to 1.0% non-phytotoxic crop oil in sufficient water to cover undersides of leaves. Do not add additional surfactants to tank mixes containing this product. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO) at 0.50 to 1 quarts/100 gal of spray volume. Apply at 5- to 10-day intervals. High insect populations may require 2- to 5-day intervals. This product may be applied up to the day of harvest. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifenture EC Agricultural Insecticide, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/A or 2.1 to 2.6 fl oz/A. Do not exceed 0.08 lb. ai per acre per season. Apply minimum 10 gal/A by ground or 2 gal minimum by air. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not apply less than 14 days apart.
- bifenthrin; zeta-cypermethrin (Hero Insecticide, others) at 4.0 to 5.5 oz per acre. Do not exceed 5.5 oz per application. Do not apply more than 11 oz of product per season. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not make applications less than 14 days apart. Apply at a minimum of 10 gal water by ground and 2 gal by air.
- chlorantraniliprole; lamda-cyhalothrin (Besiege, others) at 5 to 10 fl oz/A. Do not exceed a total of 28 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. Apply in a minimum of 2 GPA water by air or 10 GPA by ground. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.009 lb ai/A or 0.8 fl oz/A. Do not apply more than 1.5 fl oz of Delta Gold per acre on canola in one growing season. Allow 7 days between applications. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest. When applying by air, apply a minimum of 2 gallons water per acre and 5 gallons of water by ground.
- flonicamid (Beleaf 50 SG) at 2.8 oz/A or 0.088 lb ai/A. Do not apply more than 2.8 oz per acre per application or 8.4 oz/A per acre per year. Do not apply more than 3 applications per year. Allow a minimum of 7 days between applications.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Declare) at 0.77 to 1.54 fl oz/A or 0.0075 to 0.015 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamcap II) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/A or 0.96 to 1.92 fl oz/A. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (5.75 fl oz or 0.36 pts of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- potassium salts of fatty acid (M-Pede) at 4 pints in 3 to 25 gallons of water per acre as a stand alone rate. When applying with other insecticides, use 0.75 to 4 pints in 3 to 25 gal of water per acre. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 4.3 fl. oz/A or 0.05 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 25.8 oz of product or 0.3 lb of active ingredient per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- imidacloprid (Dyna-Shield Imidacloprid 5) at 10.24 to 25.6 fl oz per hundredweight of seed. In areas where foliar insects are in high numbers, the higher application rate is recommended. Do not graze for feed.