Amphitornus, Melanopus, and Xanthippus spp.
Pest description and crop damage Nymph and adult grasshoppers can be a problem at seedling emergence. During years of high populations, grasshoppers migrate into emerging stands and devour the cotyledons. Damage is usually limited to the field margins, but total stand loss there can occur. An economic threshold of 7 to 12 grasshoppers per square meter is recommended.
Management-Chemical control (Foliar Treatment)
- azadirachtin (AzaGuard) Spray 10 to 16 oz when pests first appear. Spray nymphs early. Repeat application every 7 to 10 days. Use in combination with 0.25 to 1.0% non-phytotoxic crop oil in sufficient water to cover undersides of leaves. Do not add additional surfactants to tank mixes containing this product. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO) at 0.50 to 1 quarts/100 gal of spray volume. Apply at 5- to 10-day intervals. High insect populations may require 2- to 5-day intervals. This product may be applied up to the day of harvest. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifenture EC Agricultural Insecticide, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/A or 2.1 to 2.6 fl oz/A. Do not exceed 0.08 lb. ai per acre per season. Apply minimum 10 gal/A by ground or 2 gal minimum by air. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not apply less than 14 days apart.
- bifenthrin; zeta-cypermethrin (Hero Insecticide, others) at 4.0 to 5.5 oz per acre. Do not exceed 5.5 oz per application. Do not apply more than 11 oz of product per season. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not make applications less than 14 days apart. Apply at a minimum of 10 gal water by ground and 2 gal by air.
- chlorantraniliprole; lamda-cyhalothrin (Besiege, others) at 5 to 10 fl oz/A. Do not exceed a total of 28 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. Apply in a minimum of 2 GPA water by air or 10 GPA by ground. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.009 lb ai/A or 0.8 fl oz/A. Do not apply more than 1.5 fl oz of Delta Gold per acre on canola in one growing season. Allow 7 days between applications. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest. When applying by air, apply a minimum of 2 gal water per acre and 5 gallons of water by ground.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Declare) at 0.77 to 1.54 fl oz/A or 0.0075 to 0.015 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamcap II) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/A or 0.96 to 1.92 fl oz/A. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (5.75 fl oz or 0.36 pints of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 4.3 fl. oz/A or 0.05 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 25.8 oz of product or 0.3 lb of active ingredient per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- clothianidin (Poncho 600, others). Seed treatment. Apply at 3.84 fl oz/100 lb seed for low-to-moderate insect pressure, 5.12 fl oz/100 lb seed for moderate pressure and 10.23 fl oz/100 lb seed under high-to-extreme insect pressure. Do not apply more than 0.2 lb of active ingredient clothianidin per acre per year.
- imidacloprid (Dyna-Shield Imidacloprid 5) at 10.24 to 25.6 fl oz per hundredweight of seed. In areas where foliar insects are in high numbers, the higher application rate is recommended. Do not graze for feed.