Phyllotreta cruciferae and P. striolata
Pest description and crop damage Adults are blue-black jumping beetles. They attack seedlings, damaging apical meristem, reducing stand, and deforming plants. Larvae feed on roots. Adult beetles are the damaging stage. They also can attack developing pods, resulting in shatter loss of seed. Insecticidal seed treatments are necessary at planting time to control flea beetles because of the difficulty in predicting their populations. A foliar application of insecticide may still be required should adult activity continue and reach threshold after the seed treatments are no longer effective.
Management-chemical control (Foliar Treatment)
- azadirachtin (AzaGuard) Spray 8 to 16 oz when pests first appear. Spray immediately after the first winged alates or clones are observed on plants. Repeat application every 7 to 10 days. Use in combination with 0.25 to 1.0% non-phytotoxic crop oil in sufficient water to cover undersides of leaves. OMRI-listed for organic use. Do not add additional surfactants to tank mixes containing this product.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO) at 0.50 to 2 quarts/100 gal of spray volume. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus, Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifender FC, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/a or 1.4 to 1.7 fl oz/a. Do not exceed 0.08 lb ai bifenthrin per acre per season. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not apply less than 14 days apart.
- chlorantraniliprole (Besiege, others) at 5 to 10 fl oz/a. Do not exceed a total of 28 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- cyantraniliprole (Dupont Exirel) at 0.045 to 0.133 lb. ai/a or 7 to 17 fl oz/a. Maximum application interval between treatments is 7 days. Do not apply a total of more than 0.4 lb ai/a of cyantraniliprole containing products per crop. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest. REI 12 hr.
- cyhalothrin-gamma (Declare) at 0.77 to 1.54 fl oz/a or 0.0075 to 0.015 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season.
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.009 lb ai/a or 0.8 fl oz/a. Do not apply more than 1.5 fl oz of Delta Gold per acre on canola in one growing season. Allow 7 days between applications. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamcap II) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (0.72 pint or 11.52 fl oz of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- pyrethrins, piperonyl butoxide at 0.05 lb ai/a or up to 12 fl oz/a. Do not reapply with 7 days except under extreme pest pressure. In case of extreme pest pressure, do not reapply within 24 hr. Do not apply more than 0.2 lb pyrethrin/acre/year, or 2 lb piperonyl butoxide/acre/year, whichever is lower, in any treated area.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 4.3 fl. oz/a or 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 25.8 oz of product or 0.3 lb of active ingredient per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- clothianidin (Poncho 600) seed treatment at 3.84 fl oz per 100 lb seed for low to moderate insect pressure, 5.12 fl oz per 100 seed for moderate insect pressure and 10.23 fl oz per 100 lb seed for extreme or high insect pressure where extended control is required. Do not apply more than 0.2 lb ai/a per year. REI 12 hr.
- imidacloprid (Attendant 600 FS) at 10.24 to 25.6 fl oz per hundredweight of seed. In areas where foliar insects are in high numbers, the higher application rate is recommended. Do not graze for feed.
- thiamethoxam, difenoconazole, mefenoxam, fludioxonil and sedaxane (Helix Vibrance)-Apply at 23.0 fl oz per 100 lb of seed.