Cabbage aphid (Brevicoryne brassicae)
Pest description and crop damage Cabbage aphids are green, gray with a white, waxy coating. They commonly occur in dense colonies, often covered with waxy droplets. They have piercing-sucking mouthparts and prefer to feed on the newest plant growth. Large colonies can stunt or kill small plants. The cabbage aphid appears much earlier than the turnip aphid.
- azadirachtin (AzaGuard) spray at 10 to 16 oz when pests first appear. Spray immediately after the first winged alates or clones are observed on plants. Repeat application every 7 to 10 days. Use in combination with 0.25 to 1.0% non-phytotoxic crop oil in sufficient water to cover undersides of leaves. Do not add additional surfactants to tank mixes containing this product. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO) at 0.50 to 1 quart/100 gal of spray volume. Apply at 5- to 10-day intervals. High insect populations may require 2- to 5-day intervals. This product may be applied up to the day of harvest. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifenture EC Agricultural Insecticide, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/A or 2.1 to 2.6 fl oz/A. Do not exceed 0.08 lb. ai/A per season. Apply minimum 10 gal/A by ground or 2 gal minimum by air. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not apply less than 14 days apart.
- bifenthrin; zeta-cypermethrin (Hero Insecticide, others) at 4.0 to 5.5 oz per acre. Do not exceed 5.5 oz per application. Do not apply more than 11 oz of product per season. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not make applications less than 14 days apart. Apply at a minimum of 10 gal water by ground and 2 gal by air.
- chlorantraniliprole; lamda-cyhalothrin (Besiege, others) at 10 fl oz/A. Do not exceed a total of 28 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. Apply in a minimum of 2 GPA water by air or 10 GPA by ground. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- Chromobacterium subtsugae strain PRAA4-1 (Grandevo WDG BIOINSECTICIDE) at 2 to 3 lb/A. For suppression only. Water pH for tank mixing should be between 6-8.
- flonicamid (Beleaf 50 SG) at 2.8 oz/A or 0.088 lb ai/A. Do not apply more than 2.8 oz per acre per application or 8.4 oz/A per acre per year. Do not apply more than 3 applications per year. Allow a minimum of 7 days between applications.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Declare) at 0.015 lb ai/A or 0.77 to 1.54 fl oz/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamcap II) at 0.03 lb ai/A or 1.92 fl oz/A. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (5.75 fl oz or 0.36 pts of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- potassium salts of fatty acid (M-Pede) at 4 pints in 3 to 25 gal water per acre as a stand alone rate. When applying with other insecticides, use 0.75 to 4 pints in 3 to 25 gal water per acre. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- sulfoxaflor (Transform WG) at 0.5 to 0.75 oz/A or 0.016 to 0.023 lb ai/A. Do not make applications less than 14 days apart. Do not exceed more than two applications per season. Do not apply more than a total of 1.5 oz (0.046 lb ai/A per year. Do not apply this product at any time between 3 days prior to bloom and until after petal fall.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 4.3 fl. oz/A or 0.05 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 25.8 oz of product or 0.3 lb of active ingredient per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- imidacloprid (Dyna-Shield Imidacloprid 5) at 10.24 to 25.6 fl oz per hundredweight of seed. In areas where foliar insects are in high numbers, the higher application rate is recommended. Do not graze for feed.
- thiamethoxam, difenoconazole, mefenoxam, fludioxonil and sedaxane (Helix Vibrance)-Apply at 23.0 fl oz per 100 lb of seed. Do not graze for feed on treated areas for 45 days after planting.