Pest description and crop damage Adult is a small midge (fly). Larvae mine needles; they often appear as a purple node above which the needles are distorted. Degree day models and traps are available to monitor pest emergence.
Time applications based on adult needle midge trap catch. Time to coincide with adult emergence.
- acephate (Orthene)-(Group 1)
- bifenthrin (Brigade, OnyxPro, Sniper and others)-Restricted use Pesticide. (Group 3)
- chlorpyrifos (Lorsban Advanced, Warhawk and others)-Restricted use pesticide. (Group 1)
- cyclaniliprole (Sarisa)-(Group 28)
- cyclaniliprole (Group 28) + flonicamid (Group 29)-Pradia
- thiamethoxam (Flagship 25 WG)-(Group 4)