Control of plant diseases begins with accurate identification of the causal agent; viruses are particularly difficult to identify by symptoms alone. The ELISA laboratory was created in 1980 at the Washington State University’s Irrigated Agriculture Research and Extension Center to provide virus identification to growers so they could make informed decisions about disease management in their orchards. We provide testing for many viruses that infect a wide range of fruit, vegetable, seed, forage, and horticultural crops.
Diagnostic Tests Available
The laboratory offers ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay), and PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) testing options for rapid and accurate information to our customers. We offer the following diagnostic assays at this time:
- Alfalfa: Alfalfa mosaic virus
- Apples & Pears: Apple mosaic virus, Apple chlorotic leaf spot virus, Apple stem grooving virus, & Apple stem pitting virus.
- Beans: Alfalfa mosaic virus, Bean common mosaic virus, & Bean common necrosis virus, & Tomato ringspot virus.
- Berries: Blueberry scorch virus, Buleberry shock virus, & Tomato ringspot virus.
- Cherries and other stone fruit: Cherry leaf roll virus, Little cherry virus-2, & X-disease phytoplasma.
- Grapevines: Grapevine leafroll-associated virus-3, Grapevine red blotch virus, & Xylella fastidiosa (Pierce’s Disease).
- Hops: Apple mosaic virus, Hop mosaic virus, & Hop stunt viroid.
- Vegetables: Asparagus virus-2, Cucumber mosaic virus & Tomato ringspot virus.
If the client requires a diagnostic assay for a virus not listed above, they should contact Tina Vasile (email@example.com or 509-786-9382) to discuss availability.
- ELISA assays: $10 per virus, per sample
- PCR Assays: $25 per virus, per sample
Our testing services are available for a fee to growers, field consultants, county agents, regulatory agencies, researchers, and the general public.
Samples may be delivered in person at 24106 N. Bunn Rd., Prosser, WA 99350 between the hours of 8:00 am through 4:00 pm, Monday – Friday, or couriered to the diagnostic laboratory, care of Tina Vasile, at the the above address.
All samples must be accompanied by a Virus Diagnostic Lab Testing Agreement
Have a question or need a quote?
Please contact ELISA Laboratory Manager, Tina Vasile (509-786-9382) for pricing information and to discuss the availability of tests not listed.
Information on virus testing is available at: