Phyllotreta cruciferae and P. striolata
Pest description and crop damage Adults are blue-black jumping beetles. They attack seedlings, damaging apical meristem, reducing stand, and deforming plants. Larvae feed on roots. Adult beetles are the damaging stage. They also can attack developing pods, resulting in shatter loss of seed. Insecticidal seed treatments are necessary at planting time to control flea beetles because of the difficulty in predicting their populations. A foliar application of insecticide may still be required should adult activity continue and reach threshold after the seed treatments are no longer effective.
Management-chemical control (Foliar Treatment)
- azadirachtin (Ecozin Plus) at 0.10 lb ai/gal. Spray 15 to 30 oz when pests first appear. Spray immediately after the first winged alates or clones are observed on plants. Repeat application every 7 to 10 days. Use in combination with 0.25 to 1.0% non-phytotoxic crop oil in sufficient water to cover undersides of leaves. This product can be used at half rate, but not less than 4 oz per acre per application if mixed with other insecticides. Do not exceed 56.4 oz per acre per application. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol O) at 0.25 to 2 quart/a. Apply in sufficient water to thoroughly cover foliage infested with insects, typically 5 to 100 gal of water per acre. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus, Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hours. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifen 2 AG Gold, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/a or 2.1 to 2.6 fl oz/a. Do not exceed 0.08 lb ai/a or 5.12 fl oz per acre per season. Do not apply less than 14 days apart.
- chlorantraniliprole (Besiege, others) at 5.0 to 10.0 fl oz/a. Do not exceed a total of 28.0 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- cyhalothrin-gamma (Declare) at 0.0075 to 0.015 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season.
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.009 lb ai/a. Do not apply more than 1.5 fl oz of Delta Gold per acre on canola in one growing season. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamda-Cy AG) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (0.72 pt or 11.52 fl oz of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang Maxx) at 4.0 fl oz/a (0.025 lb ai/a). PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 24 fl oz of product (0.15 lb ai) per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- chlothianidin (NipsIt Inside) seed treatment at 10.23 fl oz per 100 lb seed depending on flea beetle pressure. Do not apply more than 0.2 lb ai/a per year.
- imidacloprid (Gaucho 600) at 10.24 to 25.6 fl oz per hundredweight of seed. In areas where foliar insects are in high numbers, the higher application rate is recommended. Do not graze for feed.
- thiamethoxam, difenoconazole, mefenoxam, fludioxonil and sedaxane (Helix Vibrance)-Apply at 23.0 fl oz per 100 lb of seed.